Summer is officially here and i hope you have some fun things planned for the long weekend. If you are looking for a fun, healthy and simple recipe for your July 4th celebrations, here’s the perfect red, white and blue recipe for you. A few weeks ago folks at nuts.com reached out to me asking if I’d be interested in coming up with a recipe using coconut flour. I didn’t want to pass up on the opportunity because I’ve been intrigued by this new flour flooding the market for the past year or so. Coconut flour is a gluten free healthy substitute for regular flour. It is a soft flour produced from dried coconut meat. This flour is rich in protein and fiber. Read up more on the health benefits of using coconut flour here.
I love tarts especially the mini ones simply because I can eat two of them and still not feel guilty. This is a super simple mini tart that you can whip up in 20 minutes. These mini beauties have almond, coconut, honey, berries and yogurt, so they totally qualify to be eaten for breakfast. If you feel fancy, replace the yogurt with whipped cream or even coconut cream for a nutty flavor. Enjoy your July 4th celebrations and stay safe and cool!
Ingredients for the tart
1 cup almond meal
1 cup coconut flour
2 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
For the filling
1 cup non fat vanilla yogurt
handful of strawberries, sliced
handful of blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with liners, coat with cooking spray and set aside.
2. Place all tart ingredients in a bowl and mix well until they all come together. The mixture will be a little crumbly.
3. Place a tablespoon of the above mixture into each muffin cup and press them well so the mixture sits well on the bottom and sides of the liner.
4. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
5. Let the shells cool completely before filling them. You can even make this ahead of time and refrigerate until ready to be filled.
6. Fill each tart shell with cold yogurt and top with berries when ready to serve.