A low fat, low carb, high fiber soup.. this is my kind of soup. This curried cauliflower soup is a favorite week night recipe. The original recipe is from here. I have substituted olive oil for butter which makes this a vegan soup. You can use store bought curry powder or make your own. Curry powder is traditionally a mix of turmeric, cumin powder,coriander powder, red chilli powder and ground cloves.
1 medium head cauliflower cut into florets
3 teaspoons olive oil
1 large onion
2 cups low sodium veg broth
3 cups water
1.5 teaspoons curry powder
Fresh ground pepper
1. Preheat oven to 450F. On a baking sheet toss cauliflower with 2 tspoons of olive oil and 1 tspoon of salt. Roast for 25 minutes. If you don’t have an oven, roast the florets on medium flame in a non stick pan. Set aside a cup of roasted florets.
2. In a nonstick saucepan, add 1 tspoon of oil and when oil is hot, add the chopped onion and cook until soft.
3. Stir in the roasted cauliflower,veg broth,water and curry powder.
4. Cover and bring to a boil. Uncover and simmer for 5minutes on low heat.
5. Once cooled, transfer the above into a blender and blend until smooth. If you are using an immersion blender, you can process while its hot and avoid the next step.
6. Heat when ready to serve. Ladle soup into bowls and top with reserved cauliflower florets and fresh ground pepper.