Have you ever found yourself in a situation where you have small quantities of different vegetables lying in your fridge, not enough to make a dish by itself? During those times, please make this and you will love yourself more for not wasting any vegetables:-) This is a quick one pot meal and paired with appalam or potato chips it is simply blissful! The original recipe is from here. Feel free to add any vegetable that is begging to be used in your fridge.
1 cup rice
3/4 cup toor dal/ pigeon peas
2 teaspoons tamarind paste
2 cups chopped vegetables ( I used French beans,green pepper, carrot, green peas)
Pearl onions 4
2 teaspoons sambar powder
1/2 teaspoon asafoetida
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon oil
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
Few sprigs of curry leaves
1. Clean the rice and dal well and add 3 cups of water and let it soak for 15minutes.
2. Heat oil for tempering in pressure cooker and add mustard seeds and curry leaves.
3. Add pearl onions and cook till turns golden brown.
4. Add tamarind paste in 1 cup of water.
5. Add asafoetida, turmeric and sambar powder and salt.
6. Add the vegetables and let it cook for a minute.
7. Add the rice and dal along with the water and mix well.
8. Close the lid and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles.