Rava Kesari aka Sooji halwa is a popular Indian dessert and festival food. Its simple to whip up this wonderful dessert in under 20 minutes. You can add pineapple or banana for a variation. Feel free to add more ghee, I am famous for skimping on ghee and oil:). The original recipe calls for cashews and raisins but I used soaked peeled almonds instead of cashews .Try this next time you have an unexpected guest or you are craving something sweet.
1 cup semolina/sooji
2 cups water
1 cup milk
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons clarified butter/ghee
1/2 teaspoon powdered cardamom
4-5 strands of saffron soaked in 1 tspoon of warm milk
handful of cashews and raisins
1. Heat Clarified butter/ghee in a nonstick pan and once its hot, add cashews and raisins and fry them till cashews turn golden brown and raisins become plump. Remove them and keep aside.
2. Add semolina/sooji to the pan and fry until sooji turns light pink. Keep stirring constantly and take care not to burn the sooji. Remove from heat and keep it aside.
3. In the same pan, add water and milk and bring it to a boil.
4. Add sooji and cook well for about 7-8 minutes.
5. Once sooji reaches a pudding like consistency, add sugar and cardamom powder and mix well.
6. Add saffron strands soaked in milk and cook for few seconds.
7. Remove from heat and garnish with cashews and raisins.