I can have a vegetable stir fry pretty much everyday of the week. And if I can add protein to a vegetable stir fry, I can probably eat it for all 3 meals in a day:) Last week at the Asian grocery store I went a little overboard with Thai basil and since then I have been trying my best to use it in various recipes. I didn’t have the heart to throw the beautiful basil out, so here’s another basil recipe for you all. You can choose to deep fry the tofu or just add super firm tofu pieces. If you don’t want to deep fry, you can either use the oven and grill the tofu pieces or pan fry the tofu. I grilled mine in the oven.
1 block super firm tofu cut into bite sized pieces
1/2 medium size onion sliced lengthwise
1 cup vegetables ( I used a mix of broccoli, carrots, red/yellow pepper)
3 cloves garlic minced
1/4 inch piece ginger grated
2-3 Thai green chillies finely chopped
1 teaspoon light soy sauce
1 teaspoon chilli sauce
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 cup veggie broth or water
2 teaspoons oil
Handful of thai basil leaves roughly chopped
1. Pre-heat oven to 450F. Place the tofu pieces on a baking tray , drizzle a tspoon of oil and bake for 15-20 minutes.
2. Heat remaining oil in a wok or pan on high heat and when oil is hot, add onions, green chillies, garlic and ginger and sauté for 30 seconds. Take care not to burn the garlic.
3. Add the grilled tofu and stir fry for a minute.
4. Add the sauces, salt, pepper and broth/water and cook for couple of minutes till the sauce beings to thicken and coat the tofu.
5. Turn off the heat and add the basil leaves and mix well.