Lemon rice is an integral part of south Indian cuisine. I remember during school days back in India 4 out of 10 kids would bring lemon rice for lunch. You can put this together in under 10 minutes if you have cooked rice available. This explains why lemon rice makes a great lunch box recipe. The zesty lemon meets the humble white rice in this simple recipe to create a myriad of flavors. Enjoy!
1 cup cooked white rice
Juice of 1 lemon
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
2 green chillies slit vertically
1/4 inch piece ginger grated
1/4 cup peanuts
2 teaspoons oil
1/2 teaspoon urad dal
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon channa dal
1/2 teaspoon asafetida powder
1 dry red chilli
5-10 curry leaves
1. Take the cooked rice in a plate and gently separate the grains using a fork.
2. Add turmeric powder and salt to the rice and mix well.
3. Take oil in a pan and once hot, fry the peanuts until golden brown and keep them aside.
4. Add grated ginger and green chillies and sauté for a minute.
5. In the same pan, add ingredients under listed under tempering/tadka and fry for few seconds.
6. Add the fried peanuts, ginger, green chillies and tempering to the rice.
7. Add lemon juice and mix gently without breaking the rice grains.