When I saw a pyramid of Navel oranges in the grocery store, I knew i wanted to bake something with them. I instantly pulled out my iphone and started browsing for orange bread recipes and I found this low fat orange cake recipe here. You may think I am crazy to do recipe search at a grocery store. I don’t do that always, only when i shop ALONE and when i see something interesting. I do this because I can buy other ingredients that the recipe calls for at the store without making another trip. Pretty smart huh?:) Aarthi calls it a cake, but I would call it a bread based on the texture. Whether its called a cake or bread, this recipe is a winner all the way. I substituted apple cider vinegar and baking soda for eggs in this recipe. I made a batch with eggs too, honestly I couldn’t tell the difference.
1.5 cups All purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup yogurt ( i used greek yogurt)
Orange zest from 2 oranges
Orange juice from 1 orange
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar or distilled white vinegar+ 2 teaspoons of baking soda or 2 eggs
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Take flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a bowl and mix well. Set this aside.
3. Take the apple cider vinegar and baking soda or eggs, sugar and vanilla in another bowl and mix well.
4. Add oil, yogurt, orange zest and orange juice to the above and mix well.
5. Gently mix the dry ingredients from step 2 to the wet ingredients.
6. Line the bottom of a loaf pan with parchment/wax paper and oil well on all sides.
7. Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 45 minutes.
8. Insert a toothpick to check if baking is complete. If the toothpick comes out clean, its done. Otherwise bake for another 5 to 10 minutes.
9. Cool completely before removing from pan.
10. To slice perfectly without breaking the bread, freeze bread for 30 minutes and then slice using a serrated knife.