If there is one dessert that is found in almost all countries, just made in different ways it is RICE PUDDING. I have grown up eating rice pudding aka payasam the south Indian way. The addition of vanilla to the pudding is new to me and it tastes oh so yummy. There is something incredibly appetizing about the smell and taste of this super simple dessert. I could just make a meal out of it. There is no one perfect method to make this ultimate comfort dessert. Play around with some milk, rice and sugar, you will end up with this divine concoction.
1/2 cup rice washed and cleaned
2 cups coconut milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon sweetened coconut flakes
1 teaspoon chopped pistachio nuts
1. Take 1.5 cups of coconut milk and rice in a pressure cooker and cook for 3 whistles. Alternatively, you can cook rice and milk on stove top or microwave. If you are using a microwave, cook it on high setting for 15minutes.
2. Once pressure is released, transfer the cooked rice and milk to a nonstick sauce pan and add 1/2 cup coconut milk and stir well over medium heat.
3. Add sugar and nutmeg and mix well.
4. Turn off the heat and add vanilla and mix well.
5. Transfer to serving bowls and garnish with coconut flakes and pistachios.
6. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.