Okra also known as lady’s finger in India is rich in fiber and vitamin C. I am not very fond of this vegetable, guess its do with its gooeyness. But Yumjay on the other hand is crazy about this vegetable. He can eat this vegetable and particularly this curry with rice for even 3 days in a row without any complaints:) So obviously I make this curry at least once a week. I read somewhere that the gooeyness of okra can be reduced by sprinkling some salt on cut okra. Even then, I can’t bring myself to eat this. Anyway this recipe is for all the okra lovers out there. Enjoy!
1/2 pound okra cut into small discs
4 green chillies slit vertically
1 teaspoon tamarind paste
1/2 cup cooked thoor dal/ pigeon peas
3 teaspoons oil
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon chopped cilantro leaves
few sprigs of curry leaf
3 dry red chillies
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon fenugreek/methi powder
pinch of asafoetida
1. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed vessel and once oil is hot, fry okra and green chillies for few minutes till okra is well fried.
2. Mix tamarind paste in 1.5 cups of water and add it to the okra/chilli mixture. Bring it to a boil.
3. Add salt and turmeric powder and mix well.
4. In a separate pan, add 1 teaspoon of oil and once its hot, add ingredients under tempering/tadka and cook for a minute.
5. Pour the tempering into the okra/tamarind mixture and let it cook for few minutes.
6. Mash the cook thoor dal/pigeon peas and add it to the above mixture. Add more water if the curry is too thick and bring it to a boil.
7. Garnish with chopped cilantro and curry leaves.