If there is a cuisine I am partial to after Indian, it is definitely Mexican. I think its to do with the common spices in the cuisines. I tasted tortilla soup for the first time at Qdoba and the myriad of flavors was quite intriguing. That’s when I thought it cant be too difficult to make this at home and I was right. With just a few ingredients, this aromatic soup can be prepared in 30 minutes. You can make this with just tomatoes or add other vegetables. I usually like to blend the vegetables to give a smooth texture to the soup.
Home made Mexican seasoning ( source: about.com)
1/4 cup dried oregano
3 tablespoons red chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 pinch ground cloves
1 pinch ground cinnamon
Mix all the ingredients well and store in an airtight container. This seasoning mix can be used for tacos, salad dressings, soups.
Ingredients for tortilla soup
1 can tomatoes with juice ( I used fire roasted tomatoes)
1 medium onion chopped
3 cloves garlic chopped
3 cups water
3 cups veggie broth
2 cups of vegetables ( I used kale, carrot and red peppers)
2 teaspoons Mexican seasoning ( I used store bought seasoning from the bulk section of my local store)
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 avocado diced into small cubes
1 flour tortilla for tortilla strips or store bought tortilla strips
Method for Tortilla soup
1. Heat oil in a pot big enough to hold the soup.
2. Once oil is hot, add onions, garlic and jalapeno and cook it for 10 minutes.
3. Add vegetables and sauté for 5 minutes.
4. Blend the vegetables, onion, jalapeno and garlic with the tomatoes. Make sure to blend to a smooth consistency.
5. Transfer the blended mixture into the pot and cook for 5 minutes.
6. Add water, broth, salt and seasoning and mix well.
7. Bring it to a boil.
8. Serve topped with avocado and tortilla strips.
Method for Tortilla strips
1. Pre heat oven to 350F.
2. Brush olive oil on tortilla and cut into1/2 inch strips and bake for 10 minutes.
3. Alternatively, you can deep fry the cut tortilla.