Puffed rice known as pori or murmura in India is a snack relished by both kids and adults alike. Spicy masala pori is a perfect accompaniment for tea/coffee on a rainy afternoon. Its a low calorie snack and can be made in a jiffy. I usually make these in small batches to satisfy Yumjay’s cravings, but if you plan to make a big batch, make sure to store in an air tight container.
1.5 cups Puffed rice/pori/murmura
2 teaspoons oil ( I used a mix of olive and coconut oil)
1/4 cup peanuts
1 dry red chilli
1/4 teaspoon asafetida
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/4 teaspoon red chilli powder
5 curry leaves
1. Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a pan and once its hot, add peanuts and fry them well.
2. Remove the fried peanuts from the pan and keep them aside.
3. In the same pan, add 1 teaspoon oil and once its hot, add the dry red chilli and curry leaves and fry for few seconds.
4. Add puffed rice/pori, turmeric powder, red chili powder, asafetida and dry roast them till the pori becomes crisp.
5. Add salt if needed and mix well.
6. Mix in the fried peanuts.