Potato is a universally favorite vegetable. This pan fried potato is a simple take on the versatile potato. It consumes way less than oil than the deep fried version yet its so tasty and satisfying. Serve it as a side for breakfast or with rice for dinner. It makes for a great lunch box recipe too. I like to eat this on a slice of whole wheat bread spread with hummus. Ain’t this vegetable a cook’s best friend? You can make this under 30 minutes and please use russet potatoes for the best flavor.
1 Russet potato skin peeled and cut into small cubes
3 teaspoons oil
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon sambar powder ( use a mix of coriander and cumin powder if you don’t have sambar powder)
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon asafetida
1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
4-5 curry leaves
1. Take the cut potatoes in a mixing bowl and add all the spices including salt and mix well. Keep it aside for 10 minutes.
2. Heat oil in a pan and when oil is hot add mustard and cumin seeds and cook for a minute.
3. Add curry leaves and cook for 30 seconds.
4. Add the marinated potatoes and sauté on medium flame for 10 minutes.
5. Add 1/4 cup of water and cover the pan and cook for 5 minutes.
6. Uncover and cook on high flame for 5minutes.