Tomato rice is a quick fix lunch or dinner recipe. You can call this tomato pilaf or tomato rice or whatever else you want, the result is an aromatic tangy rice with a beautiful color. Its a breeze to whip up this one pot meal. Makes a great lunch box recipe too. Pair it with potato chips and yogurt for a complete meal.
1 cup rice
4 medium size tomatoes finely chopped
1 medium size onion cut lengthwise
1/2 cup green peas
1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
2 green chilies slit vertically
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro leaves
3-4 curry leaves
2 tablespoons oil
1 bay leaf
1 one inch piece cinnamon
1. Wash and soak rice in water for 20 minutes.
2. Heat oil in a pan and when hot add bay leaf, cardamom, cinnamon and cloves. Fry for 30 seconds.
3. Add curry leaves and chopped onion and cook till onions turn golden brown.
4. Add ginger garlic paste and cook for a minute.
5. Add finely chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder, red chili powder, green chilies and salt and cook till tomatoes become mushy.
6. Add drained rice, green peas and 2 cups of water and mix well.
7. Cook covered on medium flame for 20 minutes.
8. Reduce heat to low and cook uncovered for 10 minutes.
9. Garnish with cilantro leaves.