When I tell people I don’t eat meat, their first question is “where do you get your proteins from”? Then when I tell them I eat eggs they give me an approving smile. What I usually don’t tell people is that while growing up I never ate eggs. Something about the smell and taste was a big put off for me. I got my proteins from primarily from lentils which is a staple in most Indian homes. While in college I ate an occasional egg curry or scrambled eggs in the cafeteria and slowly developed a taste for eggs. Now i eat eggs at least couple of times a week. This egg curry with coconut is new to me and we like it so much that i make this at least once in 2 weeks now for dinner. The original recipe from here. Yumjay likes to eat this with hot rice and ghee/clarified butter, while I like mine with roti.
4 boiled eggs
1 large onion finely chopped
1 large tomato blanched and pureed
2 teaspoons oil
1/2 inch piece cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon red chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder
1 teaspoon chopped cilantro leaves
Ingredients for curry paste
1/4 teaspoon dry roasted cumin seeds
2 tablespoons grated coconut ( fresh tastes better, I used frozen)
3/4 teaspoons of poppy seeds soaked in a tablespoon of water for 15minutes
2-3 cashew nuts
4-5 curry leaves
1 green chili
1. Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a pan and when its hot, add the boiled eggs along with turmeric powder and sauté for 3minutes on medium flame. Remove eggs from heat and keep them aside.
2. In the same pan add remaining oil and when its hot, add mustard seeds, cloves, cinnamon and cardamom and fry for 30 seconds.
3. Add chopped onions and cook till they turn soft.
4. Add ginger-garlic paste and cook for 4minutes.
5. Add red chili powder, coriander powder, salt and mix well.
6. Add pureed tomato and cook for 4minutes.
7. Grind the ingredients given under curry paste into a smooth paste by adding little water.
8. Add the curry paste to the pureed tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes.
9. Add 1/2 cup of water to the above and bring it to a boil.
10. Add boiled eggs to the above and simmer for 8minutes.
11. Add garam masala and chopped cilantro leaves and mix well.