I had posted a vegan mango bread recipe couple of weeks ago which almost doubles as a loaf cake. It was delicious, gorgeous and perfect. I initially started my search for a mango cake because I wanted to use up a can of mango pulp lying in my pantry. One lead to another and from one can of pulp I made both mango cake and bread. If I were to choose between the two, I’d happily make the bread again. This cake turned out to be quite dense with a hint of mango but the sweetness was perfect to pair with a cup of tea or coffee. Or you can even pair it with vanilla ice cream and drizzle chocolate on top. Give it a shot if you want to use up that can of pulp which is a staple in most Indian homes.
1.5 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon powdered cardamom
1.5 cups mango pulp
1/3 cup oil
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line and grease a 9inch round cake pan with parchment or wax paper and set aside.
2. Sift together flour, salt, baking powder and powdered cardamom in a bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, mix oil, sugar and mango pulp till the sugar completely dissolves.
4. Gently mix the dry and wet ingredients.
5. Transfer the mixture to the greased cake pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
6. Cool the cake completely before slicing it.