This easy, everyday mango pickle is from Meenakshi Ammal’s “cook and see” part 2. This is the simplest form of mango pickle that can be put together in 10 minutes. Raw green mango works best for this recipe. This pickle tastes best when eaten with yogurt and rice especially on a hot summer afternoon. Summer is far, far away but I found some raw mangoes in the Indian grocery store last week and made this simple pickle. Yumjay didn’t care for rice or other accompaniments, he just decided to go to town on this pickle.
1 medium size unripe( green) mango
2 teaspoons red chili powder
1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
2 teaspoons oil
1/2 teaspoon asafetida powder
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1. Cut mango into small pieces with skin.
2. Add salt to cut mango pieces and mix well.
3. Add turmeric and red chili powder and mix well.
4. Dry roast the fenugreek seeds for 3-4 minutes and powder them.
5. Heat oil in a pan and when oil is hot, add mustard seeds , asafetida powder and fry for 30 seconds.
6. Add the above to the cut mango pieces and mix well.
7. Add powdered fenugreek and mix well.