Merry Christmas everyone! I baked this rich, moist, delicious pound cake from Martha Stewart Living few days ago and the 2 boys at home made it disappear in less than 2 days. Pound cake is traditionally a cake made with a pound of each of the four key ingredients in a cake: butter, sugar, flour and eggs. Since I am not feeding a town and just 2 always hungry grown men and a toddler who says no to anything sweet, I changed the quantities of the ingredients. It is light on effort and heavy on flavor. This cake doesn’t have any baking soda or powder. Make sure to follow the instructions carefully for an airy and rich cake. Serve it warm with berries and lightly sweetened whipped cream for an awesome dessert.
1/2 pound or 1.65 cups of all purpose flour
1.5 teaspoons coarse salt
2 sticks softened unsalted butter plus more to grease pan.
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 large eggs at room temperature
1. Preheat oven to 325F. Butter a loaf pan and set aside.
2. Combine all purpose flour and salt in a bowl.
3. Cream butter and sugar with a mixer on high speed until pale and fluffy, for 8 minutes. Scrape down sides of bowl.
4. Reduce speed to medium, and add vanilla extract.
5. Lightly beat eggs, and add to mixer bowl in 4 additions, mixing thoroughly after each and scraping down sides.
6. Reduce speed to low, and add flour mixture in 4 additions, mixing until just incorporated.
7. Transfer batter to the greased loaf pan.
8. Bake for 65minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
9. Let the cake cool in pan on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Remove from pan, and let it cool completely on wire rack.
10. Slice and serve with berried and whipped cream ( optional)