Wishing you a very happy new year and lots of success in 2013.
There is no better way to ring in the new year than by having a slice of your favorite cake. I made this super moist and juicy honey cake last night to welcome 2013. Honey cake is a staple in Iyengar bakeries in South India. I guess i have been bitten by the iyengar bakery bug lately. Started with dilpasand then came vegetable puffs and now its honey cake. Well all I can say is we love those baked goodies:) I got the recipe for honey cake from here and you can use any basic white or yellow cake recipe or even use store bought cake mix. I wanted to bake a vegan cake and got my white cake recipe from here. I didn’t have any vegan butter at home. I used regular butter, therefore it became an eggless white cake instead of a vegan cake. It is the best white cake I have ever had. I wish you all a very happy 2013 and may your new year be as sweet as this honey cake:)
Bake your basic white or yellow cake. You can even make yours vegan by using vegan butter.
Pierce the cake with a toothpick over entire surface
Pour sugar/honey syrup all over the cake.
Spread the melted jam/preserves evenly on top of the cake
Sprinkle desiccated coconut on top.
Top with sliced maraschino cherries.
Refrigerate the cake for at least 2 hours before slicing and serving.
Eggless white cake
2 cups bleached cake flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup water
2 tablespoons melted butter ( use vegan butter for a vegan version)
2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line and grease a 9 inch round or square cake pan.
2. Take sugar, flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a bowl and mix them well.
3. Combine water, oil, lemon juice, butter and vanilla extract in a separate bowl.
4. Mix the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients. Do not use an electric mixer. Stir gently with a big spoon.
5. Transfer to baking pan and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
1 9inch round or square white/yellow cake
5 teaspoons sugar
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup honey
2 teaspoons rose water ( available in Indian grocery stores)
4 teaspoons of your favorite fruit jam/preserves ( I used strawberry)
1/4 cup desiccated coconut
5 maraschino cherries, each sliced into 2 pieces
1. Bake the white/yellow cake. You can follow recipe given above for a white cake or even use store bought cake mix.
2. While the cake is getting baked, prepare honey syrup by adding sugar, water and honey to a small pan on medium heat. Stir till the sugar dissolves and heat till the mixture becomes syrupy.
3. Add rose water to the above and turn off the heat. Keep it aside to cool.
4. When cake is done, remove from pan and transfer on to a wire rack and let it cool.
5. Pierce with a toothpick over the entire surface of the cake.
6. Pour the prepared honey syrup over the cake.
7. Melt jam/preserves in microwave for 30 seconds.
8. Spread the melted jam evenly on top of cake.
9. Sprinkle desiccated coconut and top with sliced cherries.
10. Refrigerate for couple of hours before slicing and serving.