Eggplant rice popularly known as Vangi Bhath is a specialty of state of Karnataka. Eggplant is roasted with Indian spices and mixed with cooked rice to make this tasty dish. You can use store bought vangi bhath masala or make your own. It can be made in 20 minutes, a perfect lunch box recipe. This vegan rice can be served as a side or eaten the Indian way with potato crisps.
2 cups cooked rice.
1/2 pound eggplant cut into 2inch pieces
1 tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
10 curry leaves
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon asafetida powder
3 teaspoons vangi bhath masala( I like MTR brand available in Indian grocery stores or make your own with recipe given below)
Vangi bhath masala– dry roast the following ingredients and grind them to a fine powder
3 dry red chilies
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 tablespoon Bengal gram/channa dal
1/2 tablespoon black gram/urad dal
1/2 tablespoon grated dry coconut
1 one inch piece of cinnamon
1/4 tablespoon sesame seeds
1. Take oil in a nonstick pan and when its hot add mustard seeds. Fry for 30 seconds.
2. Add curry leaves, asafetida powder and cook for 30 seconds.
3. Add cut eggplant, turmeric powder and salt and cook for 15-20 minutes on medium flame or until the eggplant is well roasted.
4. Add vangi bhath masala powder, mix well and cook for 2minutes. Turn off the heat.
5. Add cooked rice to the above and mix well.