I would have loved to call this post Pad Thai because everything about this recipe is pad thai except for the noodles, veggies. I didn’t have rice noodles and bean sprouts at home . But I did have a box of fresh eggless wheat noodles from Trader Joe’s which I have been dying to use and therefore came about this recipe. My love for fresh noodles needs a whole different post. All I can say is once you taste fresh noodles, you will never go back to buying dried noodles. Since I wanted to add a veggie to this, I decided to go with green pepper. You could add couple of eggs or meat for extra protein. The combination of tangy, spicy pad thai sauce with pan fried tofu and green peppers is what I call heaven on earth. We had it for dinner with couple of veggie pot stickers and it was holy yum!!!
8oz Trader Joe’s fresh eggless wheat noodles or rice noodles
1 green bell pepper diced
3 cloves of garlic minced
2 tablespoons oil
5oz tofu cut into thin pieces
Juice from 1 lime
1 small bunch of chives cut lengthwise
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
2 tablespoons tamarind paste
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon paprika
1. Cook noodles according to package instructions and set aside.
2. Heat 1/4 cup of water in a saucepan. Add tamarind paste, soy sauce, brown sugar and paprika and mix well. Let it simmer on low flame till the sauce thickens. This should take about 10 minutes. Turn off the heat once its done.
3. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a pan and fry the tofu pieces till they turn golden brown. Set them aside.
3. Heat oil in a large work and when its hot, add minced garlic and sauté for 20 seconds.
4. Add chopped green bell pepper and sauté for 5 minutes.
5. Add pan fried tofu, noodles and pad thai sauce to the above and mix well.
6. Add chives and stir fry for a minute.
7. Add lime juice and cilantro and mix well.