I am a member of a neighborhood cooking club and M, the organizer is an enthusiastic lady who organizes fun events almost every weekend. While I don’t go for all these events due to various reasons, it caught my eye when I received an email about an English tea party. English tea parties remind me of Alice in wonderland where you read about yummy treats which make your mouth water.
Boy oh boy!! The spread at this tea party put Alice’s menu to shame. The talented members of the club had brought 2 types of scones, coconut curd( which was so yum by the way), tartlet, egg salad chutney sandwiches, crab spread sandwich, tapenade sandwiches, prosciutto and cheese sandwiches, citrus salad, salmon dip with crackers, tea biscuits and every imaginable variety of tea. When I walked in with my humble cheddar and chutney sandwiches I was a little embarrassed. But the sandwiches were a big hit and I had people asking me for the recipe which is a good sign right?
This chutney sandwich is simple and delicious. The combination sweet, tangy and spicy chutney and salty cheddar satisfies both sweet and salt urges in every bite. Now here’s a valuable tip I learned while making these sandwiches, if you don’t want squishy, messy, crumbly sandwiches, just freeze the bread for couple of hours before making sandwiches. Its an English tea party, we want everything to be perfect.
Ingredients for Chutney
1 ripe mango skin peeled and diced
1 teaspoon tamarind paste
2 tablespoons cilantro roughly chopped
2 tablespoons mint roughly chopped
1 clove garlic
1 one inch piece ginger
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 Thai green chili
5 peppercorns (add more if you like it spicy)
Sugar ( optional)
Ingredients for Sandwich
Sliced bread ( I used buttermilk bread, freezer bread for couple of hours)
Deli style sliced sharp cheddar cheese
1. Take all the ingredients for chutney in a food processor.
2. Process until smooth, add sugar if chutney is very spicy.
3. Spread a thin layer of butter on 2 frozen bread slices.
4. Spread the chutney on bread slices.
5. Place a slice of cheddar, place one slice of bread on top of another and cut the crusts with a serrated knife.
6. Cut into triangles or squares or any desired shape and place sandwiches on a tray lined with wax paper.
7. To prevent the sandwiches from drying out, cover them with another wax paper and place a damp cloth or paper towel on top until ready to serve.