Breakfast casseroles are a great way to incorporate protein, carbs and veggies in one simple dish. I love these casseroles because all the prep work is done the previous night and you have to just wake up and pop this in the oven for a delicious breakfast next morning. This simple breakfast strata recipe is from Pike Place Market cookbook. I made some changes to the original recipe and we loved every bite of it.
We had this for brunch on Saturday along with fruits and coffee and it was so filling. The measurements given in the recipe yield 4 generous portions. With left over bread and veggies, this delicious make-ahead treat can be made in 45minutes. I was happy with the addition of kale which gave a nice crunch to the strata. You can add mushrooms, onions or any leftover veggies from dinner to make this more healthy.
4 cups cubed left over bread ( I used French bread)
2 cups of chopped veggies ( I used a mix of kale and red, yellow, green peppers)
1 cup cubed tofu or any meat of your choice
4 large eggs
1 cup whole milk ( I used fat free milk)
3/4 cup half and half ( I used whole milk)
1 cup grated cheese ( I used 1/2 cup pepper jack cheese)
Handful of chopped herbs ( I used cilantro)
1. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, fat free milk, whole milk, salt, pepper and cilantro. Keep this aside.
2. Fill a baking dish with cubed bread.
3. Scatter tofu, chopped veggies and cheese over the top.
4. Pour egg mixture over and soak overnight.
5. Next morning, preheat oven to 350F and bake for 45minutes.