Kosumalli is a simple Indian raw salad. It typically contains a vegetable like carrot or cucumber and mostly green gram or moong dal but sometimes it is made with Bengal gram or channa dal . This simple, nutritious salad is packed with protein and iron. There are several variations of this salad and this recipe is from Meenakshi Ammal’s “Cook and See Part 1“. Kosumalli holds a special place in festivals and wedding feasts in south India.
1 cup green gram lentil /moong dal
2 cups grated carrot
1/4 cup grated coconut
2 Thai green chilies slit vertically
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/4 teaspoon asafetida powder
4 curry leaves
1 teaspoon oil
juice from 1 lime
1. Soak lentils in water for 1 hour. Use a colander to drain water and keep aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan. When oil is hot, add mustard seeds, asafetida powder, green chilies and curry leaves and cook for a minute.
3. Add grated coconut and carrot, mix well.
4. Add drained lentils, salt and mix well.
5. Remove from heat, add lime juice and mix well.