Happy Valentines day!! A lot of people have traditions that they follow for St.Valentines day. In India, it has always been a “hallmark holiday”, at least that was the case when I was growing up. Now for those of us who believe in this holiday, today’s milk halwa recipe would be a great dessert option. It is an easy dessert to make under 30 minutes and with simple, everyday pantry ingredients. It tastes like a cross between rava kesari and theratipal. And that means it tastes yummy. The original recipe is from here and you could add some saffron, cashews and raisins for a variation. We liked ours just simple and plain.
2 cups milk
3/4 cup sugar ( I used 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup ghee ( I used 2 tablespoons)
1/4 cup sooji/semolina
1. Take all the ingredients in a nonstick saucepan.
2. Keep stirring continuously on medium flame.
3. In about 25 minutes, the mixture will get thick and come off from the sides of the pan.
4. It stores well for upto a week in the refrigerator. Heat each serving for about 20 seconds in the microwave before serving.
5. The original recipe also mentions that this halwa can be made in the microwave. Heat all ingredients in a microwave safe bowl for 8-10minutes on 750W power stirring the mixture every 2minutes. I haven’t tried the microwave method. If you do, let me know how it turned out.