This is a delicious and nutritious soup that’s perfect anytime of the year. This soup is rich and creamy without the addition of any cream. Potato gives this soup a creamy texture and makes it healthy too. I found this recipe few years ago from here and since then its been on our dinner menu at least once a week. This is a great way to incorporate greens if you have picky eaters at home. I always whip up a big batch to make sure I have leftovers for lunch the next afternoon, that’s how much I like this soup. The vibrant color and the aroma from the spices makes this a perfect pick- me- up soup.
3 cups baby spinach
1 medium sized potato, skin peeled cut into cubes
1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
1 Thai green chili or 4 peppercorns
1 tablespoon olive oil or butter
1 one inch cinnamon stick
2 cups low sodium vegetable stock ( optional)
1 cup milk ( I used fat free milk)
1/4 teaspoon powdered nutmeg
1. Place the cubed potatoes in a microwave safe bowl, cover with water and cook for 7-10 minutes or until the potatoes are soft. Alternatively, you can pressure cook the potato for 3 whistles.
2. Heat Olive oil in a deep bottomed pan, add chopped onions and Thai green chilies and cook till onions are soft.
3. Add spinach leaves and sauté for 3-4 minutes till the leaves start to wilt.
4. Add 2 cups of broth and 2 cups of water or 4 cups of water to the above and bring it to a boil.
5. Turn off the heat and let it cool completely. Strain the spinach-onion-chili mixture into a blender and reserve the water/stock in a separate bowl.
6. Puree the spinach-onion-chili mixture along with boiled potatoes to a smooth paste.
7. Add the pureed spinach back to the pan along with reserved stock/water.
8. Add milk, cinnamon stick and let it cook on medium heat for 10 minutes.
9. Add salt and nutmeg powder, mix well. Let the soup simmer for 5minutes.