A few weeks ago, we were dining out at our local California Pizza Kitchen and Yumjay ordered a salad for dinner. The salad looked colorful and had big juicy strips of barbecued chicken on top. He oohed and aahed over every bite. I made a mental note of the ingredients and decided to replace chicken with tofu for dinner few days ago. The result was a winning salad recipe. I got a chance to use my new toy to grill a block of tofu and it turned out so good. The salad at CPK had black beans and tortilla strips. I replaced them with chickpeas and crisps for some crunch. The best thing about chopped salads is you can pretty much chop any veggie in sight and make a tasty salad out of it. Just make sure to add crunchy lettuce for texture and a fresh herb.
2 cups Romaine lettuce, chopped
1/2 cup tomatoes, chopped ( I used grape tomatoes)
1/2 cup canned black beans or chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup fresh or frozen, thawed corn
1/4 cup red onion chopped
2 tablespoons tortilla strips/crisps or roasted nuts
2 tablespoons fat free ranch dressing
1 tablespoon cilantro, finely chopped
1 block extra firm tofu
Ingredients for marinade
2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
1 teaspoon olive oil
1. Drain and place tofu on a plate. Use paper towels to extract excess liquid. Cut tofu into 3/4inch thick slices.
2. Take a bowl and mix all ingredients given under marinade. Pour mixture over tofu and let it marinate in refrigerator for minimum 30 minutes.
3. Grill the tofu on a grill or preheat oven to 350F, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and bake tofu for about 30minutes or until firm and lightly browned.
4. Place chopped lettuce, tomatoes, onions, chickpeas and crisps or roasted nuts in a large bowl.
5. Stir in the ranch dressing and mix well. Check for salt and add few grinds of black pepper.
6. Place them on 2 plates and top with grilled tofu strips or cubes and chopped cilantro.