Yup, you read it right. This is a cupcake, a vegan cupcake, a vegan cupcake with avocado. If you are a cupcake connoisseur, please don’t stop reading. Avocado which in my opinion is butter in the form of a fruit replaces real butter in this healthy cupcake. Since I don’t eat any cocoa-based food( I know what you are thinking, this post is getting weirder right?), I shared a few of these with my friend AR and requested for her thoughts on these cakes. AR is a passionate advocate of healthy eating. I don’t think artificial dyes and processed foods have ever entered her kitchen. Here’s what she had to say about these cakes, The chocolate cupcakes tasted heavenly, absolutely perfect, dense and moist and not crumbly at all. The frosting in question was a little hard to get used to. I didn’t quite like the texture of the frosting and it left an aftertaste but eating a big bite of cupcake with a dash of frosting was delicious. Adding a spice like powdered cardamom to the frosting may supersede the avocado flavor.
Thanks AR for your candid feedback. The original recipe is from here and I have written to Joy asking her to how to make the frosting a little more fluffy and less gummy. I will update this post as soon as I hear from her. In the meantime, if you are looking for an awesome, healthy, green treat for St. Patrick’s day that’s coming up this weekend, don’t you think this would be perfect?
Ingredients for cake
1.5 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup soft avocado, well mashed, about 1/2 medium avocado
1 cup water
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a muffin pan with paper liners and set aside.
2. Sift together all of the dry ingredients except the sugar. Set aside.
3. Mix all the wet ingredients together in a bowl, including the mashed avocado.
4. Add sugar into the wet mix and stir.
5. Mix the wet with the dry all at once, and beat with a whisk (by hand) until smooth.
6. Pour batter into cups, filling each 3/4 full.
7. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool the cup cakes completely before frosting.
Ingredients for frosting
1 small, ripe avocado
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2lb powdered sugar, sifted
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Peel and pit the avocado. Place the avocado meat in a large bowl.
2. Add lemon juice and whisk the avocado using a hand mixer until smooth, about 2-3 minutes.
3. Add the powdered sugar a little at a time and beat.
4. Add vanilla extract until combined.
5. If not using right away, store in the refrigerator. It wont turn brown.