This roasted potato recipe listed as potato hot curry in cook and see part 1 is a south Indian favorite served for all occasions from weddings to festivals to everyday lunches. Boiled potatoes are coated with rice flour and pan fried with spices to make this simple yet flavorful dry curry. With just a tablespoon of oil you can get the perfect roast due to the addition of rice flour. You can use the same method to cook colocasia or taro as well. There is something magical about eating this dry potato curry with cold yogurt rice on a warm summer afternoon, wishful thinking for a Seattleite huh?
0.75lb russet potatoes, skin peeled and cut into bite sized cubes
1 teaspoon salt
1.5 teaspoons red chili powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon asafetida powder
1 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon rice flour
1 teaspoon cumin seeds (optional)
1. Take the cubed potatoes in a microwave safe bowl and cover with enough water. Microwave for 8-10 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
2. Coat the cooked potatoes with rice flour and set aside.
3. Heat oil in a pan and when oil is hot, add cumin seeds. Fry for 30 seconds.
4. Add asafetida powder, turmeric powder, salt and red chili powder and mix well. Let the spice mix cook for a minute on medium flame.
5. Add the rice flour coated potatoes, stirring gently to coat with spices and oil.
6. Cook on low flame for about 7minutes. Garnish with finely chopped cilantro (optional)