6 tomatoes, blanched and peeled
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 small onion, finely sliced
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 slice white bread, crusts removed, torn into 1/2 inch pieces
2 tablespoons olive oil
Chives, basil or parsley for ganish ( I used chives)
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
2. Add garlic, onions, oregano and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring until the onions turn soft, about 5 minutes.
3. Add bread and tomatoes. Roughly mash the tomatoes with a potato masher.
4. Add a cup of water and bring it a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Transfer the soup to a blender jar, gradually trickle in a tablespoon of olive oil and blend until smooth.
6. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Garnish with finely chopped herbs.