If you like apple pie, you will definitely like this cake. This is so much healthier than a pie, so having a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side will not make you feel guilty. The original recipe is from here and I used silvered almonds instead of walnuts. This cake is so yummy and full of good stuff that you can even have it for breakfast. It may not look pretty, but its delicious and completely satisfies the craving for a slice of apple pie. The cake freezes well, so slice them up and freeze individual portions for a quick dessert or snack.
1.5 cups whole wheat pastry flour
2.5 cups finely chopped apples
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons flax meal mixed in 6 tablespoons of warm water
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped ( I used toasted, silvered almonds)
1. Line and grease an 8 inch square pan with oil and flour and set side.
2. Preheat oven to 350F.
3. Sift together flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
4. In a separate, large bowl, beat together oil, sugar and vanilla for about a minute. Add the flaxseed mixture and beat for about 30seconds.
5. Add the flour mixture and mix well with a spatula. The dough will be stiff.
6. Stir in the apples and nuts, mix well.
7. Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10minutes before transferring on to a rack. Cool completely before slicing the cake.