Fenugreek leaves commonly available in Indian grocery stores is a nutritional powerhouse rich in vitamins that are essential for optimum health. It is combined with green peas and aromatic basmati rice in this recipe to make a delectable rice pilaf. I make this atleast couple of times a month, sometimes more depending on how lucky I get at the grocery store in finding a bunch of fresh fenugreek leaves. This pilaf comes together in 30minutes and can be paired with raita for a simple dinner. It can also be a perfect side to a rich and creamy entrée like paneer butter masala. The amount of fenugreek used in this recipe is not going to leave you smelling like maple syrup all day, so go ahead and make this healthy pilaf.
1 cup basmati rice
1 tablespoon oil
1 green cardamom
1 one inch cinnamon stick
1 star anise
1 dry bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 onion, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
2 Thai green chilies
1 cup fresh fenugreek leaves
1 tablespoon cilantro leaves, finely chopped
1 tablespoon mint leaves, finely chopped
1/4 cup fresh or frozen green peas
1. Clean and wash the fenugreek leaves. Soak them in 1/2 cup of water with sugar and a pinch of salt for about 15minutes. Discard the water and pat dry the fenugreek leaves on a clean kitchen towel.
2. Soak basmati rice in water for 15minutes.
3. Heat oil in a large pot and add all the whole spices, fry for couple of minutes. Add chopped onions, cook till they turn soft.
4. Add ginger, garlic and green chilies, cook for a minute.
5. Add cilantro, mint and fenugreek leaves and sauté for 5minutes. Add drained rice and green peas, gently sauté for 5minutes.
6. Add 1 ¾ cups water and bring it a boil. Add salt and mix well.
7. Cover the pot and reduce the heat to low. Let it cook for 15minutes.
8. Once the rice is cooked, turn off the heat and gently fluff with a fork.