Quinoa is quite flavorless by itself. Curry powder and caramelized onions create magic in this recipe and take the bland quinoa to a whole new level. For those of you who are not big fans of quinoa, this salad will definitely leave you craving for more. As the weather gets warmer, this is an ideal lunch to make without spending too much time in the kitchen. It tastes great chilled or at room temperature, which makes it a wonderful, healthy lunchbox recipe.
1/2 cup quinoa
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 tomato, deseeded and finely chopped
1 small cucumber, deseeded and finely chopped
1 tablespoon cilantro, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, minced
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons olive oil
juice from 1 small lemon
freshly ground black pepper
1. Dry roast the quinoa on a skillet until they begin to pop and lightly brown. Heat a cup of water in a saucepan and add quinoa, bring it to a rolling boil. Cook covered on low flame for 15minutes. Turn off the heat and fluff with a fork. Keep this aside.
2. While the quinoa is getting cooked, heat oil in a pan. Add onions, jalapeno and garlic, cook till onions turn golden brown.
3. Add crushed red pepper flakes and curry power. Mix well and cook for a minute.
4. Place tomatoes and cucumber in a bowl. Add the cooked curried onion-garlic mixture and mix well.
5. Add cooked quinoa, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Mix well.
6. Add pepper and garnish with cilantro. Serve at room temperature.