Mint is one herb that I always have at home because in my opinion mint makes everything taste better. This rice is no exception that rule. It is bright and beautiful with a wake-you-up flavor. Fresh mint leaves along with coconut and spices are ground to a fine paste and then cooked with aromatic basmati rice. In under 30minutes you can whip up this light, aromatic and flavorful vegan rice which just screams spring.
1 cup rice
1 cup mint leaves
1/2 onion finely chopped
1 jalapeño pepper, minced
1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
1 one inch cinnamon stick
2 green cardamoms
1/4 cup grated coconut
2 teaspoons oil
1 teaspoon ginger- garlic paste
1. Clean and soak rice in water for 20minutes.
2. Heat 1teaspoon of oil in a large pot. Add whole spices and roast for couple of minutes.
3. Add onions and fry till they turn golden brown.
4. Add ginger- garlic paste and jalapeño, cook for a minute.
5. Add mint leaves and grated coconut and cook till mint leaves begin to wilt.
6. Turn off heat and grind everything to a fine paste once completely cooled.
7. Heat a teaspoon of oil in the pot and add drained rice and ground paste. Mix gently.
8. Add salt and 1.5 cups of water. Gently mix and bring the contents to a boil.
9. Place a lid on the pot, reduce the heat to low and let it cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until all the water evaporates and rice is done.
10. Gently fluff with a fork and serve hot.