These pesto pull-apart rolls are my kind of bread because it involves minimal kneading, no mess( well, a little), its delicious and its vegan. These rolls are so pantry friendly just like the vegan pesto, you can follow this basic recipe and fill it with garlic spread or any bean spread of your choice and top with herbs or sundried tomatoes( which I did for one half of the dough) or even make sweet rolls with vegan butter, sugar and cinnamon or chocolate spread and nuts. It tastes best eaten on the same day its made. These rolls are so delicious, you may not have any left overs.
Combine flour, water, yeast, sugar and salt to make a smooth dough. Cover and keep the dough in a warm place to rise.
The dough will double in size in about 45minutes. Knead the dough for couple of minutes to remove air bubbles and divide the dough into two equal portions.
Use a rolling pin to roll the dough out into a long rectangle of about 1/2inch thickness. Spread half of the pesto evenly on the dough.
Place the rolls in a lightly oiled baking pan barely touching each other. Make sure to not leave too space between the rolls, they will end up hard and flat.
Cover and keep in a warm place for 20minutes. After the second rise, bake them in a preheated oven. Brush tops with plant milk or vegan butter as soon as they come out of the oven.
1.5 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup+1 tablespoon warm water
1/2 tablespoon active dry yeast
1.5 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons any plant milk or vegan butter ( I used almond milk)
1 cup vegan pesto
1. Place flour, warm water, yeast, salt and sugar in a large bowl. Mix till a smooth, slightly sticky dough is formed.
2. With the help of little oil knead the dough for about 5minutes till it springs back on touch. Oil a bowl and place the dough in the bowl. Cover with a clean kitchen cloth or plastic wrap and keep in a warm place for about 45minutes. The dough should double in size.
3. Knead the dough for couple of minutes to remove air bubbles. Divide the dough into two equal portions and place one half on a lightly floured surface.
4. Roll it out in a long rectangle of about 1/2 inch thickness. Spread half the pesto on the dough and roll it tight. Cut it into 4 pieces and place the rolls on a lightly oiled baking pan.
5. Repeat the same steps with the other half of the dough and allow the rolls to rise for 20 minutes.
6. At the end of second rise, preheat oven to 375F. Bake for 30minutes or until the top is golden brown.
7. Brush tops of rolls with almond milk or vegan butter and serve warm.