If you think pasta with lemon is yummy then pasta with capers and lemon is heavenly. This is a quick, easy and delicious pasta which is perfect for a busy weeknight dinner. Arugula adds nuttiness and color to this dish. If you want something saucy, you could whip up a tangy sauce with a tablespoon of flour, lemon juice, a teaspoon of nutritional yeast and a cup of dry white wine. This pasta is light, refreshing and an ideal take-along for picnics or potlucks.
4oz whole wheat spaghetti or any pasta
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons capers, rinsed and drained
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
juice from 1/2 lemon
zest from 1/2 lemon
2 cups arugula, roughly chopped
freshly ground black pepper
1. Cook pasta according to package directions and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
3. Add garlic and capers and cook for a minute, stirring frequently.
4. Add red pepper flakes, lemon zest and juice and cook for a minute.
5. Turn off the heat, add pasta and arugula and toss well.
6. Add freshly ground black pepper, taste and add salt if required.