Mr. Sun has been playing hide and seek with us in Seattle and looks there’s still plenty of time left for soup nights. This is a light, soothing and nutritious soup perfect for chilly spring nights. Look at the pretty color, it almost looks like puréed Cheetos right? The big difference is, this pretty color comes from beta-carotene present in carrots which is good for your body unlike the artificial coloring in Cheetos. This vibrant, healthy soup can be part of a detox meal plan. There is no oil, butter or cream in this soup and yet the soup is creamy, spicy, tangy and delicious.
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound carrot, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
1 medium potato, cut into chunks
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
3 cups low sodium vegetable broth or water
freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat a cup of broth over medium heat in a large pot.
2. Add onion and garlic and cook until they turn soft. This should take about 5minutes.
3. Add remaining broth, ginger, carrot, potato and curry powder. Bring it to a boil. Cover the pot and let it simmer for 30minutes or until all the vegetables are tender.
4. Purée in a blender. Add more broth or water to reach desired consistency.
5. Stir in lemon juice and salt. Serve hot garnished with freshly ground black pepper and parsley.