I have been on a peanut kick lately and these candied peanuts are the best I have ever made. The inspiration for this recipe came from a childhood favorite of mine made of peanuts and brown sugar called kadalai urundai aka candied peanut balls. Brown sugar is boiled to a hard ball stage and mixed with roasted unsalted peanuts to make these candied nuts. I added powdered ginger for a little spice, you could play around with cinnamon, sea salt or even curry powder and paprika. A handful of these peanuts is enough to satisfy my craving for dessert and I also like them on my salad for a nice crunch.
1.5 raw, unsalted peanuts, skin removed
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Place peanuts on a parchment sheet lined baking tray and roast for about 20-25minutes.
2. Place brown sugar, water and powdered ginger in a saucepan and bring it to a boil.
3. Add a few drops of brown sugar syrup to a bowl of cold water. Use your fingers to gather the cooled syrup into a ball. If hard-ball stage has been reached, the syrup will hold its ball shape and deform only slightly with very firm pressure. If not, continue to boil the syrup and check again after few minutes.
4.Once the hard ball stage has been reached, turn of the heat.
5. Combine roasted peanuts with brown sugar syrup and mix well.
6. Once completely cooled, store in an air tight jar.