For some, the most difficult part of being a vegan is trying to find a substitute of their favorite meat dish. Yumjay, a hardcore carnivore thinks that trying to veganize a meat dish tastes like a failed science experiment, but this philly cheese steak recipe totally changed that theory for him. I have been a vegetarian all my life, so I cant say much about this. But if Yumjay thinks its good, it ought to be good. A philly cheese steak is a sandwich made from thinly sliced pieces of steak and melted with cheese on a bread. This recipe replaces steak with marinated tofu slices and it is incredibly flavorful and filling.
Marinate the tofu slices and slow cook in an oven for 1.5hours.
Heat oil in a skillet and cook the slow-cooked tofu slices along with juice till they are browned on both sides.
Cook vegetables seasoned with salt and pepper on a skillet until tender.
Top with veggies and vegan cheese. Wrap sandwich in foil and bake in preheated oven for 10minutes.
for tofu steak
1 block extra-firm tofu, drained
3 green onions, chopped
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons maple syrup
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon red chili powder
for the sandwich
4 hoagie rolls
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 medium onion, sliced
1 green bell pepper, sliced
1 cup sliced mushrooms
vegan cheese slices
1 avocado, mashed
2 tablespoons hummus
1. Preheat oven to 200F.
2. Make thin slices of tofu and set them aside.
3. Combine all the ingredients under tofu steak except tofu in a food processor and pulse for few seconds until the ingredients are combined but still remain chunky.
4. Pour a little of the marinade on a baking dish. Place a layer of tofu slices on top and pour some more marinade, place another layer of tofu and pour the remaining marinade. Slowly tilt the baking dish sideways so the marinade spreads evenly across all tofu slices.
5. Place in preheated oven for 1.5 hours.
6. Place a tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet and add slices of slow-cooked tofu and cook until they turn brown on one side. Turn the slices over and cook until other side is browned. Tofu steak strips are ready. You can even refrigerate or freeze the tofu slices at this stage.
7. To prepare the sandwiches, tear off four slices of aluminum foil and place a hoagie roll on each foil and set aside.
8. Heat oil in a skillet and cook onions, peppers and mushrooms until tender.
9. Combine mashed avocado and hummus. Spread this on both sides of the hoagie rolls.
10. Add several slices of cooked tofu steak slices to the buns and top them with veggies.
11. Add 2-3 slices of vegan cheese, wrap the sandwiches in the foil and place them in a preheated oven at 250F for 10minutes.
12. You can even refrigerate the assembled sandwiches and heat them in the oven for 20minutes when ready to serve.