I got inspired by Brandi’s gluten free banana cakes and wanted to bake something with almond flour last weekend. This recipe has many firsts to its credit, first time baking with almond flour, first time baking with dates and first time baking without sugar. And for so many firsts I think it turned out really well. It was moist and perfect with the right amount of sweetness and a hint of banana flavor. These muffins will definitely disappear fast, so make sure to make a big batch for a quick breakfast or snack.
2 small ripe bananas
10 mejdool dates, pitted and roughly chopped
1 cup almond flour
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed mixed in 3 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a muffin pan and set aside.
2. You can buy almond meal/flour from the store or grind a cup of blanched, silvered almonds in a food processor.
3. If you don’t have a powerful blender, I highly recommend soaking the dates in water for 3 hours and then chopping them.
4. Place bananas, dates, flaxseed-water mixture, coconut oil and maple syrup in a food processor. Pulse until pureed and well blended.
5. Add dry ingredients and pulse until everything is incorporated.
6. Scoop batter into muffin pan until 3/4 full.
7. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.