Yumjays friend VS is an awesome cook and he made this absolutely delicious, simple curry on one of our visits to his place. It is easy to whip up this divine soupy tomato concoction in minutes. The curry is topped with sev, chickpea flour based crispy noodles available in Indian grocery stores. Sev thickens the dal while eating and its truly comfort food at its best. So thanks to VS, this traditional Gujarati curry has become a staple in our house. Any time I am pressed for time this tomato curry with a simple salad and rotis saves my day.
5 medium sized tomatoes, finely chopped
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 Thai green chilies, finely chopped
2 teaspoons oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon asafetida powder
1/2 teaspoon sugar (optional)
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1 cup sev
1. Heat oil in a pan and when its hot add cumin seeds and let it splutter.
2. Add onions and green chilies and cook till onions turn soft.
3. Add tomatoes and spices including salt and cook till tomatoes turn soft.
4. Add 1/2 cup of water, mash the tomatoes and bring the mixture to a boil.
5. Top with Sev and garnish with cilantro when ready to serve.