Lemon soda is a guilt free, refreshing drink that screams summer. In South India almost every street corner has a small store selling freshly made lemon soda and snacks. Club soda is combined with fresh lime-lemon juice, salt and sugar to make this incredibly satisfying thirst quencher. You can add ginger and mint for a variation. If you feel adventurous, you can even add a splash of gin.
Juice from 3 big lemons
Juice from 1 big lime
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons sugar
Chilled club soda/carbonated water
3 tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon cumin powder (optional)
2inch piece ginger, grated (optional)
mint leaves (optional)
1. Combine sugar, water, salt, ginger(if using) and lemon-lime juices in a saucepan on medium heat till the sugar dissolves completely. Cool and strain through a fine sieve, discarding any ginger solids. Once completely cooled, this syrup can be stored in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
2. When ready to serve, place 3 tablespoons of syrup from step 1 in a large glass.
3. Add cumin powder( optional) and mix well.
4. Top with club soda and ice.
5. Garnish with lemon slices and mint leaves (optional)