This recipe combines the earthy flavor of beetroot or beets with rich cocoa and the result is an intensely moist, healthy and chocolaty cake. The addition of chocolate chips on top gives it a nice glaze and eliminates the need for frosting. Yumjay couldn’t believe that this cake had a good amount of beets in it. You can even add grated carrots along with the beets. Once you make this cake, you may not want to try any other chocolate cake recipe.
1.25 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil ( I used olive oil)
1 cup plain soy yogurt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups grated beets
handful of vegan chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 360F. Grease an 8 inch square baking pan with little oil and flour and set aside.
2. Sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda.
3. Mix together oil and sugar until creamy.
4. Add yogurt to the oil/sugar mixture and mix well.
5. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix well.
6. Add grated beets and mix well.
7. Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking pan and sprinkle chocolate chips on top.
8. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
9. Let it sit in the pan for 10minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
10. Once completely cooled, slice and serve.