When a kind friend of Yumjay’s shared her summer’s bounty with us, I knew I wanted to make savory muffins with them because I’ve been on a muffin kick lately. Muffins scream convenience and are good for quick breakfast or a snack. And definitely nothing better than a healthy savory muffin without butter and sugar. The squash were colorful, fresh and mildly sweet. With their soft shells and creamy fresh, these summer squashes are rich in powerful antioxidants which promote immunity.
I combined these beauties with some green onions, sundried tomatoes, roasted red peppers and feta cheese the result was an amazing smelling and tasting muffin. There’s definitely something magical about garden fresh veggies, so thank you K for generously sharing your loot. You can use zucchini and for a vegan version, leave out the feta and substitute flax seed meal for eggs.
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup olive oil
2 medium sized summer squash, shredded
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 small bunch green onions, finely chopped
1 roasted red pepper, finely diced
zest from 1 medium lemon
handful of sundried tomatoes, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners and set it aside.
2. Stir the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and oil together until smooth.
4. Stir in the shredded squash, sun dried tomatoes, green onions, roasted red peppers, cheese and lemon zest.
5. Add the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
6. Spoon into muffin cups and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
7. Let it cool in pan for 5minutes and then cool them completely on a wire rack.