This delicious and colorful papaya halwa recipe from Meenakshi Ammal’s “Cook and See” part 3 is a great dessert which can be whipped up in under 30minutes. In my world, there is no such thing as eating too much papaya. But if you are not too fond of this fruit which is a power house of vitamins, this dessert will certainly make you fall in love with the fruit. Warm papaya halwa paired with cold vanilla ice cream is definitely a combination to die for. You can follow the same recipe with other tropical fruits like mango and jackfruit too.
2 cups ripe papaya, skin peeled and cubed
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons clarified butter/ghee
1 teaspoon powdered cardamom
10 cashews, roughly chopped
1. Fry cashews until golden brown in a tablespoon of clarified butter/ghee and set aside.
2. In the same pan, add cubed papaya and cook till papaya is well mashed and turns pulpy. This should take about 15minutes on medium flame.
3. As soon as the pulp starts boiling, add sugar and stir continuously.
4. Add cashews and a tablespoon of clarified butter/ghee, mix well.
5. Continue to cook on medium flame, stirring continuously until the mixture starts leaving the sides of the pan.
6. Turn off the heat, add powdered cardamom and mix well. Serve warm.