Flaked rice known as aval or poha in India not only adds flavor to beer, it makes a great pudding too. Aval payasam is a popular south Indian dessert and its definitely easier and faster to make than rice pudding. Flaked rice is lighter than rice and has numerous health benefits. This vegan version made with coconut milk and cashews is rich, creamy and delicious. Flaked rice is available in Indian grocery stores and for those who can’t find it, you can use oats and it tastes just as good.
1/3 cup thick flaked rice/aval
2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons unsalted cashews, roughly chopped
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon powdered cardamom
pinch of saffron
1. Soak the cashews in 2 tablespoons of coconut milk and set aside.
2. Dry roast the flaked rice/aval on medium flame until golden brown. Pulse the roasted flaked rice for few seconds in a food processor.
3. Place flaked rice and 1/4 cup of water in a saucepan. Let it cook on medium flame for 5 minutes.
4. In the meantime, place brown sugar and 1/4 cup of water in another saucepan and cook on medium flame for couple of minutes until the sugar dissolves completely.
5. Add brown sugar syrup to the cooked flaked rice and mix well.
6. Add coconut milk and cashews. Let it cook on medium flame for 10 minutes.
7. Add powdered cardamom and saffron and mix well.