This cabbage stir fry/ poriyal recipe from Meenakshi Ammal’s “Cook and See” Part 1 is simple and nutritious. Coconut adds depth and nuttiness to the dish. The same recipe can be used with vegetables like cluster beans, French beans, snake gourd and plantain flower. Paired with a good sambar and rice, this is the ultimate comfort food for any south Indian. Cabbage is rich in fiber and low in calories, so eat up!
1 small cabbage, finely chopped or shredded
2 teaspoons oil
3/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
1.5 teaspoons black gram/ urad dal
3 dried red chilies
1/4 teaspoon powdered asafetida
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
4-5 curry leaves
1/4 cup grated coconut
1/4 cup split Bengal gram/channa dal
1. Soak Bengal gram in water for 1/2 hour.
2. Heat oil in a pan and when oil is hot, add mustard seeds and let it splutter.
3. Add split black gram/urad dal and cook till it turns brown.
4. Add dried red chilies and curry leaves and cook for a minute.
5. Add powdered asafetida and turmeric powder, let it cook for 30 seconds.
6. Add drained Bengal gram/channa dal and cook for couple of minutes.
7. Add cabbage and salt, sprinkle 2 tablespoons of water, cover and cook for 10 minutes on medium flame.
8. Add grated coconut and mix well. Let it sit on medium flame for 3-4 minutes.