If your backyard is still overflowing with summer squash and zucchini, this is a great recipe for you. I always like to have bread or muffins at home for an unexpected guest or a quick snack. This bread freezes beautifully and is perfect for those days when you are pressed for time and want a quick bite. Chocolate makes this a super kid and adult friendly bread and its a great way to make sure you get your veggies but are still enjoying a sweet treat.
1.5 cups whole wheat flour
1.5 cups cake flour or all- purpose flour
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup oil
3/4 cup plain yogurt
1/3 cup buttermilk
1 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2.5 cups grated squash/zucchini
1/2 cup chocolate chips or chunks
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and line a loaf pan with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Sift together the dry ingredients and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, beat together eggs, yogurt, buttermilk, vanilla, oil and sugar.
4. Stir in the squash and chocolate chips.
5. Add dry ingredients to wet and stir until combined.
6. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for 50-60 minutes.
7. Let the bread cool in pan for 10minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.