Whether its a tea party in Alice in wonderland or your local tea room, scones and sandwiches always have a special place in the menu. What’s not to love about dainty sandwiches, perfectly cut and filled with delicious stuff. Few months ago, i made a chutney cheddar sandwich for a cooking club gathering and recently i served these English cucumber and cream cheese sandwiches at a party, both were equally delicious and a big hit. This sandwich may seem simple, but there’s effort involved in making sure its not a dull, soggy mess because cucumbers which are filled with water are famous for that. Even if you are a health nut, please use old fashioned white or buttermilk bread for these sandwiches, just eat one sandwich (we’ll see how that goes) but use white. And its my rule that party sandwiches should never be served with crusts on and am sure the British will agree with me.
1 English cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced (use a mandoline slicer if you have one)
1/2 stick unsalted butter at room temperature
4 oz cream cheese
14 white bread slices
1 tablespoon fresh dill, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1. Freeze bread slices for at least 20 minutes. This will help prevent crumbly, squishy sandwiches and will keep them moist until ready to be served.
2. Place sliced cucumbers on a plate lined with couple of paper towels. Spread them apart and sprinkle salt on them, set aside for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, pat the tops with another paper towel.
3. In the meantime, place cream cheese, garlic powder and dill in a bowl and stir to combine. Set aside.
4. Spread one side of each slice of bread with a thin layer of unsalted butter and then with a layer of cream cheese mixture.
5. Top one of the slices with cucumber slices, slightly overlapping and top with another slice of bread.
6. Cut the crusts off with a gentle sawing motion with a serrated knife.
7. Cut in half or fourths depending on the size of the sandwich desired. I personally prefer cutting them into 4 squares or triangles because its almost bite-sized and cute.
8. Place cut sandwiches on a wax paper lined tray and cover them with a damp paper towel until ready to be served.