If your house is currently taken over by pumpkins, be happy. Not only can you make awesome pumpkin bread and bars, you can roast the seeds for a healthy snack. While its definitely easier to buy them from a store, there is some fun to doing this at home and one big upside to this is you can get creative with your seasonings. Pumpkin seeds are a good source of protein, iron, manganese and potassium. These are highly addictive and every time you go into the kitchen, you will definitely eat a handful of them.
Seeds from one medium sized pumpkin
freshly cracked black pepper
1. Measure the pumpkin seeds and place them in a saucepan. For every 1/2 cup of pumpkin seeds, add 2 cups of water and 1 teaspoon of salt. Bring them to a boil, reduce heat and let it simmer for 15 minutes. Drain and pat dry the seeds with a paper towel.
2. Preheat oven to 325F.
3. Spread the seeds on a baking sheet and drizzle about a tablespoon of olive oil. Gently massage the seeds with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
4. Roast seeds in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven, stir and roast for another 8-10 minutes.
5. They are ready when outer shell is crispy and inner seeds are golden and aromatic.
6. You can remove the outer shell or enjoy as it is.