I am not a huge fan of energy bars available in the market. Most of them contain a list of ingredients which runs into several paragraphs and most often they contain some form of sugar syrup and that is questionable. But if i have to make an exception and stock some in my car or purse for a quick snack, then my choice would definitely be LARABARS. They are made with unsweetened fruits, nuts and spices and each bar contains no more than nine ingredients. What i like about them more is that it is incredibly easy to make them at home.
These pumpkin pie bars have a rich festive taste and a small square makes a great mid-morning snack. If you are looking for a last minute home made Halloween treat, this is perfect for you. While you may not be the most popular person if you distribute these tomorrow to the ghouls and goblins in your neighborhood, especially if you are competing with the snickers and starburst neighbors, i am sure you will feel good that you have shared a healthy treat. These delicious bars store well in the refrigerator for several days. I like to roll them into balls and bars, individually wrap them in plastic wrap so they remain fresh longer. Happy Halloween!
3/4 cup dates, pitted
1/4 cup raisins
1 cup raw cashews
2 tablespoons almond butter
1 tablespoon pumpkin puree
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice (or use a mix of powdered cloves, nutmeg and ginger)
1. Place all ingredients in the bowl of your food processor.
2. Pulse until they come together, scraping the sides often. Make sure it doesn’t become a fine paste.
3. Transfer the mixture on to a cutting board and use your hands to shape it into a rectangle.
4. Cut the rectangle into bars or roll them into balls.
5. Coat them with unsweetened shredded coconut or drizzle some chocolate for a variation.